Monday, February 20, 2012

Research

After my meeting with the department chair I went online to try to find audio clips of earth sounds.  I couldn't find any free audio recordings but I did find this website
http://www.audionetwork.com/sound-effects/destruction/earth-movement
but since I couldn't verify the authenticity of these sounds I looked further
I found the website of the US Geological Survey
http://www.usgs.gov/
but I couldn't find a public audio library of seismic sounds.  I shot off an email to their librarian but as of this date I have not received a reply.
I kept looking and found this article on NPR.  Which lead me to the website of John Bullitt.  This was more in the vein of what I was looking for.  So I sent and email to him and got a very positive reply!


Art student from PSU seeks seismic audio recordings or advice
Inbox
x

H. Chilton
Feb 18 (2 days ago)
to jt
Hello,
I am an art student at Portland State University.  I am working on a collaborative project with our geology department and am trying to find audio clips of seismic activity and other related noises to use in an interactive display.  While searching the internet for leads on audio clips I ran into your interview on All Things Considered.  I followed the link to your website and am now wondering if you have any downloadable versions of your work that you would be willing to donate or sell for this project, or if you have any leads on other such audio recordings that I might be able to use.
Hoping your interest will be piqued,
John Bullitt
Feb 19 (1 day ago)
to me
Hi,

Yes, my interest is definitely piqued! You are welcome to download and use any of the sounds on my website (see the "Earth Sound" section). Unfortunately, although you can play the sound clips directly from a web browser, it's a little hard to track down the actual links to the sound files (something I've been meaning to fix for ages, but never seem to find time to do). But if there are any of those sound clips that you'd like to download, just let me know which ones, and I'll send you the links to the mp3 files. (Alternatively, you can go to http://www.jtbullitt.com/earthsound/ and use the "View source" feature of your web browser to examine the html code in that page. You'll see the paths to the mp3 files in there.) Meanwhile, here's a link to the 2011 Japan earthquake: http://www.jtbullitt.com/earthsound/tohoku-2011/Tohoku-WRAB.mp3 . If you'd like any others, just let me know.

Meanwhile, if you'd like a copy of my "Earth Sound" CD, I'd be happy to send you one, gratis. Just give me your mailing address, and I'll send it out to you with Tuesday's mail. You're welcome to use sounds from the CD in your project, if you wish.

I'm assuming that this project isn't something that people will be paying money to see/hear, correct? If so, then all I ask is that you mention me somewhere in the credits. If it is a paid performance type project, then we'll need to discuss fees, licensing, etc.

I'd love to know more about this project, if you're willing to share. As for me, I'm working on developing a real-time system for listening to these low-frequency seismic sounds of Earth. Completion is still a long way off (tons of computer programming and engineering still to do), but when it's finished I think it'll offer an entirely new way of experiencing the Earth. Stay tuned!

       best wishes,


       john

No comments:

Post a Comment